Thursday, May 07, 2009

Getting My Needs Met

For a while there, folks in my department would meet for an adult beverage every now and then. Maybe once every month or less. This was not meeting my needs.

Teaching can be a high stress job. It is immensely challenging and rewarding. However, it can also be mentally and physically taxing. I like to unwind at the end of the week, decompress with my fellow pedagogues, and unwind with a beer or two.

Now, keep in mind that I am not talking about going out and getting shitfaced every week. That is irresponsible and not the point. Some of my colleagues even choose a soft drink at these after school meetings. But, I had grown accustomed, in my past employ, to a regular gathering of like minds.

So, I took matters into my own hands and organized a regular happy hour. I am proud to announce, after about six weeks, that it has been a rousing success. People truly seem to look forward to it, and even if they can't make it every week, they still know that they have a place to congregate, if they so desire.

And, I must say, that it has increased the quality of my life here in Cornopolis. I feel more a part of my department (not that I didn't before), and it has allowed me to spend time with people from other departments, who meet at the same place. For me, I feel that it has increased the camaraderie in the school for the twenty or so semi-regulars who show up every now and again.

Keep in mind, I am not advocating that alcohol is some sort of curative. I know that you don't need alcohol to foster friendship and have fun. But, goddammit, it helps!

3 comments:

AMVB said...

I'm quite sure that the only reason we're friends is alcohol.

(Damn you, alcohol!)

jk on both counts.

Seriously, Reda, this is great! I'm so glad you're getting some needs met and stepping into the role of Julie the Cruise Director. Do they have that yummy Stag beer there too?

ablaxe

Anon AMVB

boring election said...

I miss the CoMo Fridays...even though I wasn't a teacher. Glad you've spearheaded a group.

You and Monkey should drive down today for Chris's b-day party. You have plenty of time. Festivities begin @ 8, and we'll be here until the wee hours.

Anonymous said...

I know for a fact this man is a walking Elwood P. Dowd.

You can meow-meow and veil it and massage it, and call it social or what-you-like.

He drinks gasoline straight out of the pump.

When he's alone.

That said, I look forward to the opportunity to drink with him again. And yes, I, too, AM a notorious bad bad man.

Rock Rock On.