Saturday, June 13, 2009

Banana Bread? Yes! Chickens? No!

Thursday night, Monkey made banana bread. She makes really good banana bread. But, I couldn't have any. It was for her running club breakfast pot luck on Saturday. Lucky for me, she made an experimental loaf, with peanut butter chips in it, last weekend, so that I didn't feel left out of the banana bread love.

The peanut butter/banana loaf was good. I think we can make it better by adding actual peanut butter to the bread, itself, but then we'd have to adjust some other liquid amount. Maybe we'll experiment at some other date. Also lucky for me, there were leftovers from breakfast this morning. So, I got to enjoy extra banana bread today, after my bowl of Raisin Bran (Kellogg's). It was good.

And a good thing, too, since I was reeling from some serious bad news I had discovered on Friday night. I have, for some time now, been interested in keeping chickens. I was doing some research online about local codes, and I discovered that here in Lincoln, I might keep fowl, as long as they were kept fifty feet from any neighboring dwellings and five feet from all property lines. Sadly, that is an impossibility on our lot. So, I just have to wait on the chickens. The same regulations apply to rabbits, also, so I won't be keeping any of them either. Nor bees. (I think about a lot of agricultural things when I ain't typing at y'all.)

So, the disappointment of the arbitrary capriciousness of the Lincoln zoning board was tempered slightly by some moist and tasty banana bread. It is all good.

1 comment:

AMVB said...

You need to build a roost that is 51 feet high. That'll show 'em.

Actually, using trigonometry it wouldn't need to be quite 51 feet high depending on the distances and angles wrt to the other properties around you. It sounds like the diagonal would need to be greater than 50 feet, not the vertical.

I think a lot about maff things when I ain't typn atchoo, too. Let me know how that project goes.

Go, homesteading!

And go, Monkey, with the yummy banana breads in the traditional and now experimental flavors!

Anon AMVB