Friday, November 28, 2008

Songs For Better or Worse (Part II)

I was slightly surprised, after reviewing my late 70s list, to see a change in the tone of the songs I chose. My question is: is that a function of a change in music, or a change in me (at seven--I doubt it)? Any ideas?

1976

The Boys Are Back In Town--Thin Lizzy
Man, I still think them cats are crazy.

Sir Duke--Stevie Wonder
Music is a world within itself, with a language we all understand....

Kid Charlemagne--Steely Dan
Is there gas in the car?

Step Right Up--Tom Waits
It turns a sandwich into a banquet.

1977

Police and Thieves--The Clash
Oh yeah....

(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
And I won't get any older....

Psycho Killer--Talking Heads
Say something once, why say it again?

You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth--Meat Loaf
It must have been while you were kissing me.

1978

One Nation Under a Groove--Funkadelic
Dance your way out of your constrictions....

Can't Stand Losing You--The Police
You don't care, so I won't cry.

One Way or Another--Blondie
I will drive past your house....

Blue Skies--Willie Nelson
Never saw the sun shining so bright.

1979

Refugee--Tom Petty
Right now, this ain't real to you....

Broken English--Marianne Faithfull
It's just an old war....

Flirtin' With Disaster--Molly Hatchet
Feels about the same most everyday.

I Don't Like Mondays--The Boomtown Rats
Sweet Sixteen ain't that peachy keen....

And there you have it. All in all, the only thing I have proven here is what comoprozac has already stated: I'm old.

1 comment:

AMVB said...

I think that I was so into Pong and school that I was otherwise oblivious. Not really - just getting ready for Thanksgiving part 2 so I gots to go!

Anon AMVB