Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Bearded Truth

As you may know, I occasionally use the approach of winter as a good excuse to stop shaving. I have grown a beard several times over the last few years (once, precariously close to my wedding day, according to Monkey, but that was for a show, not the weather; and, I shaved it (and got a haircut) before the nuptials). I usually try to keep it trimmed neatly, rarely letting it grow beyond 1/2 inch in length (except for that time before the wedding, but, again, it all worked out).

This year, I got a jump on things, choosing the Labor Day holiday as the weekend to begin my shaving moratorium (much to Monkey's dismay, really; I think she has stressful memories of that beard I had before the wedding (it was something to behold)). I also resolved to allow my beard to grow to whatever length it might reach before a) the weather warmed in Spring, b) I tired of the beard, or c) Monkey cut it off as I slept. Thus far, our plan is in full effect.

I would like, before the next several months are out, to be sporting the 19th century shovel beard look, but only time will tell if I am able to pull that off. Monkey, not being much of a history buff, is hoping for other things, like a return to those days just prior to our wedding, when I emerged from the bathroom as smooth-faced as I ever have been.

Stay tuned.

6 comments:

comoprozac said...

I say let the beard grow until you trip over it.

Jami Wade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jami Wade said...

Martyr or Madman?

AMVB said...

Everyone knows that you don't wear white shoes with a beard, so good move starting after Labor Day.

Are there any hazards with having such a full, long beard?

If I were there, I'd give it a yank every chance had. You know, just to see if it was real. And to annoy.

Can't wait to see you at Christmas!!

suppo

Anon AMVB

Anonymous said...

I fully support the cause...but only if you give your audience occasional visual updates.

My apologies to Meghan if she's truly distressed by it, but it's a good look. Your beard is legit.

ATR said...

Not sure I want a tripping-over-it-sort-of-Gandalf-beard. Too RenFest.

When it comes to Martyr or Madman, I would choose Madman, if I had to, but I'd really rather pick Madman Martyr, if that is possible...especially if we are talking about John Brown.

Um..."If I were there" and so on: three dollars!

Thanks for the support and the compliments. It's good to be legit.