Wednesday, April 18, 2007

In Which Our Boy Discovers He Has No Trousers

My pants, they're a miracle
You know their strength
You know what they feel
when I move they do a dance,
everybody loves my funky pants
--Corky and the Juice Pigs, "Pants"

Well, let me tell you about my week, so far.

Monday after school, I drove up to Lincoln. Five and a half hours. The first four hours and fifteen minutes were great, but I burned up Iowa in my sleep and shot somnambulantly across Nebraska Highway so fast, my tail lights are still trying to catch up with me. I somehow awoke at the door of the rental version of Monkey House Nebraska (it's not even a nice place to visit--except for the Monkey). I got in, opened up my garment bag to hang up my suit, iron my shirt, and prepare for a relaxing hour of chatting with Monkey and reviewing my interview notes. I was emotionally drained, as well as tired, since I had pretty much listened to four hours and fifteen minutes of NPR coverage of the Virginia Tech atrocity, which had happened that morning.

When I went t o hang up my suit, I noticed that it felt a bit light. That's when I realized that the pants were not with the jacket. The dry cleaners had not returned them with the coat when Monkey picked them up. This was a problem.

I nearly went into shock. Luckily, I only experience a brief flash of catatonia before Monkey and I dashed off to the Target, which was closing in mere minutes, where I bought a $99. linen suit off the rack. It was quite a whirlwind of emotion. Not the worst of which were, perhaps, my feelings about the possibility of having to wear the pants of some random frat boy, but that's a-whole-nother thing.

Tuesday was a long day of interviews (I wound up with five) and driving. I was finished interviewing by 4pm. I was back on the road to CoMo by 4:30. I felt good about all of my interviews.

This afternoon, I was offered three positions (with a possibility of a fourth, but it's a matter of timing). Now I have to decide. What a wonderful difficulty to be in!

And, to top that off, the Deadliners kick off the season with a doubleheader, and the weather is awesome. (We were rained out of our Sunday league, earlier this week).

All in all, an awesome week...except for the thing about the pants.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Congratulations on the many offers!!! Not only do you weave a compelling drama, you also managed to flirt with frat "fashion" as it were and apparently do so in adequate style. Very nice!

Did you see today's New York Times article on beers? Check it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/18/dining/18wine.html

Sounds like a way to celebrate! Woo hoo!

Anon AMVB

Anonymous said...

En fuego!!!!