Sunday, January 04, 2009

Things I'd Like To Do

I have never been one for resolutions. It always seemed too much like making plans. However, it is that time of year to think about what we have done and to think about what we'd like to do. I suppose there are a few things I would like to do in the coming days. I will not refer to them as resolutions. How about we call them suggestions to myself? The following suggestions are bouncing around in my head.

1. Practice more. I picked up the guitar about three years ago and started taking lessons about a year ago. I don't practice everyday. I want to try to practice everyday. Otherwise, I'll never realize my dream of playing with REM on their 2030 50th Anniversary tour.

2. Read more. So many books, so little time. I figure, at my current rate, I'll only be able to read about 1000 more books in my lifetime. I am becoming agitated by the thought that I only get to choose a thousand. I mean, which ones do I pick? If I step up the pace, I could as much as double that number.

3. Look into board certification. This would be a good career move, but I think I should probably wait a few more years to actually do it. Now is the time to start thinking about and looking into what I need to do to get certified.

4. Leave the house more often. Granted, I have been sick, but, I haven't been out of the house since Friday. I haven't even gotten out of my pajamas. Except for the hacking and the phlegm, it has been a great way to end winter break.

5. Not get so wrapped up in organized sports. Watching today's Ravens-Dolphins playoff game was excruciating. The end result makes it a good excruciating, but, if you could have seen me when Miami scored to cut the Ravens lead to 20-9, you'd have thought that the Dolphins had just taken the lead. It's kind of sad that my dog is afraid to sit on the sofa with me when I watch one of my teams play (i.e., Maryland, Mizzou, Ravens--not so much Nebraska...(yet?)). I jump up off the sofa, I yell, I swear. I'm not allowed to have objects in my hands while watching (I might throw them). Once, many years ago, I was watching a football game with a Nerf football in my hands, and during a particularly bad play, I threw the football on the ground. However, the football hit an ashtray on the way down, and broke in two, spilling a mess of ashes, butts, and ceramics at my feet. This did not make me feel any better. I act like a child. I can't help it. This suggestion is the least likely to be acted upon...especially with the Ravens-Titans playoff match up scheduled for Saturday!

1 comment:

AMVB said...

You are the only person I know who measures expected remaining years alive in terms of possible books to read. Kind of weird, kind of cool.

I have to tell you that one of the best things I've done for myself is to have stopped watching sports on a regular basis. Now, don't get me wrong: There are downsides. I don't have the same outlet for aggression that I once had (now driving is my sole outlet); and it takes some effort to be down with common cultural references. But the positives are much better. My weekends are freed up, and I don't yell at the TV anymore. It's allowed me to do more of my "things I'd like to do" which is great. But I definitely had to be ready to give it up.

Good luck with the intentions!

Anon AMVB