Sunday, January 11, 2009

Can't Shake The Habit

So, if you're keeping score, I am doing well on my previous suggestions. I am reading more (or rather I was until this weekend...fell off the pace on Saturday, but that's no big thing). I am practicing more (still worried about being ready for Berry, Buck, Stipe, and Mills). I am still, however, getting far too worked up about my sports. But, you know what? I am not going to apologize for it. At least not right now.

It is, as I stated before, excruciating to watch the performance of the Ravens in the playoffs. I am jittery, jumpy, vocal, frustrated, elated, distraught, encouraged, heartsick, and proud...all before kick off. My antics have been documented. But, for those three plus hours that I am living and dying with my team, it's awesome. Afterwards, I feel exhausted. Since they've been winning, I feel thrilled. I remember how all of this felt in 2001, and I am loving feeling it again. As a realist, I am constantly aware that the end could come at any moment (of course, at this point, we know it either comes next week or not until the absolute end of the season), but I am enjoying the ride while it lasts. Most teams don't often get the chance to play for the Super Bowl, let alone IN the Super Bowl, so it is a great fortune to be able to root for my team next week. Imagine how out-of-their-minds ecstatic people in Arizona must be. They do know they have a football team, don't they?

As luck would have it, the showdown for the AFC Championship couldn't be a better match up. Baltimore at Pittsburgh. Two teams that are bitter divisional rivals. Two teams that have played each other as tightly as two teams can play each other. Two teams that, in many ways, are are similar as can be. A rivalry that has venom, intrigue, and history. I know it's the game that everyone in Baltimore and Pittsburgh wanted to see. I hope it lives up to the hype.

2 comments:

AMVB said...

You have a lively appreciation for drama. Kind of like a junkie, Monkey. You funky Monkey.

Anon AMVB

AMVB said...

Any chance a sister might enjoy one more post before she gets on the road Thursday (and offline until Monday)? Note that the theme of this post, loosely, has to do with addiction.

Hey, if one doesn't ask....

Anon AMVB