Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Stuck in the Middle

Wednesday. Hump Day. The day of the week that signals the sparkle on the calendar's horizon of a new and glorious weekend. Friday afternoon is in sight, with its promise of rest, relaxation, and the ever-present household chores. It's a day of hope; it's a day of promise. For Monkey and I, it signals a first mile post in a marathon week of events.

Tonight, we are heading to Omaha to see Centro-Matic and Broken West. Expect a full report. I am expecting Will Johnson and Co. to put on an awesome show.

Friday brings a momentous occasion, as Monkey and I celebrate our tenth anniversary! Big plans have yet to be finalized, but, we won't be traveling to KC this year. Something more "in the vicinity," we think. I already know what I am getting her, I just don't know how to deliver it.

Saturday, Will Scheff and Okkervil River come to town, touting their brand-spanking new album (released yesterday), The Stand-Ins. The review in the Times mentioned that the tracks had been recorded at the same time as OR's last album, The Stage Names. And, they gave it a good nod. Okkervil River has never disappointed, from The Blue Note to The Waiting Room. I expect the same from them at Slowdown.

And, yes, expect a full report on Sunday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm celebrating your 10 years of wedded bliss by seeing Okkervil River in Lawrence on Friday night. So excited.

I've been a law breaker and downloaded the new album a few weeks ago and it's been in constant rotation. I give it two hearty thumbs up!!! They just get better and better every time I see them. I don't want to set my expectations too high, but I'm really looking forward to the show.

Happy 10 years to you and Monkey!!! You two kick ass.

AMVB said...

Happy tenth anniversary tomorrow! I hope you had a great time at last night's show and that you have fun celebrating through the weekend. I can't wait to hear all about everything.

We're planning to head to Rehoboth this weekend, so hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Anon AMVB