Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Faculty Play

I was meant for the stage.
I was meant for the curtain.
I was meant to tread these boards,
Of this much I am certain.
--The Decemberists, "I Was Meant for the Stage"

Did I mention that my new school puts on a faculty play every year? Well, they do, and, guess what? I'm gonna be in it! It's a bit exciting--I haven't been in a play in over ten years. I hope I remember how I used to memorize all those lines!

The play, Charley's Aunt, is an old British farce. I have a pretty small part, which is good, because I don't have a whole lot of time to work on lines (or my British accent). We had a read-through this week, and it went well. Not everybody was there. One of the teacher-thespians is a coach of some sort. People are already worried that he may not be available for enough rehearsals. But, we'll see how it goes. It always works out in the end somehow. At least that's been my experience.

In other news, Monkey went back to work this week. Ripken Ozark has been upset not to have anyone home all day, but, he's taking it like a good dog.

Finally, the US Supreme Court ruled yesterday that lethal injection does not constitute cruel and unusual punishment. I guess they didn't realize the end result of lethal injection is death. That seems pretty cruel to me.

2 comments:

AMVB said...

This is very exciting! I want to see your part broadcast via YouTube. I'm not kidding. If I can't be there to see your performance, I want to see the video.

I'm not sure that those in power have an awareness about what cruel really is. If they did, many things would be vastly different.

Throwback time: I have that fabulous Crowded House song, "Don't Dream It's Over" song in my head. It's lovely.

Much better than, say, Hall & Oates' "She's Gone".

Yikes.

Anon AMVB

comoprozac said...

Break a leg!

Lethal injection is just another example of how this country is based on the Judeo-Christian...wait. Wasn't there are rule or commandment about this sort of thing? It's like the one thing that's secular about right-wing politics...that and war and letting the rich keep their money.