Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Lost Soul Returns to Me

This week, my days have consisted of slogging through work feeling achey and poor, coming home to take a belt of generic Ny-Quil, and passing out ASAP. Last night, I changed that up a bit, as I sat on the sofa and watched the MD-VA basketball game (a nail-biter that should have been a blow out). Today, I am feeling passing fair, so I thought I would update the blog.

When I was cutting my teeth on the local music scene in B-more, one of my two favorite bands was Monkeyspank (the other was the highly theatrical, and totally ass-kicking, All Mighty Senators). Monkeyspank was a sight to see: a mop-haired, rail-thin, screeching singer and lead guitar player, channeling Jesus, the Devil, and Elvis through his voice and his guitar, lead a band that consisted of rhythm: multiple bass players and dummers. It was a screaming, driving, grab-you-by-the-core-and-make-you-pinball-around-with-total-strangers kind of sound. After a few years and a couple of albums: (Daemons Flew Out of My Mouth (a truly amazing piece of work) and Blue Mud), I guess the band realized they were all going in different directions, Monkeyspank existed no more. I saw Brian, the screeching guitarist, playing a guest appearance with a solo folky-chick at a bar in Fells Point, I heard him play with a roots-y kind of band, the Bolton Hillbillys, and then, as far as I could tell, he was gone.

On a whim this weekend, I was surfing around the internets, looking for any Monkeyspank info, when I heard that Brian was in Austin playing in a band called Combo Mahalo . No longer the screeching guitar god, Brian now plays with a Hawaiian band with an awesome sound. It's funny, when I heard him singing "Mystery Train" so many years ago, I should have seen this coming. But, I didn't.

By the way, I bought a CD--they sound awesome. Welcome back to the musical side of my life, Brian!

4 comments:

AMVB said...

A good purchase in honor of payday. Woo!

Hey, your link for Combo Mahalo jumps to AMS. Did someone forget to switch it up after the cut-n-paste? I'm curious to see what your actual link is supposed to be. After all, I am a loyal reda.

If I were you, I'd blame it all on the generic meds.

Sleepyheads.

Anon AMVB

ATR said...

That has been repaired. Damn generic drugs!

AMVB said...

Way to triumph over those generic drug-altered states and the products that produce them!

Cute link for a novel band - though I found the interface disagreeable. Worth the fix so that yo' CentStand redas can check it.

Speaking of fix, how are those generic meds treating you? I hope you feel better soon!

Tonight we're heading up to Cape May, NJ with friends. My beach snobbery is in full force every time I utter the word "shore," but regardless it should be very nice to be along the ocean.

May you honor your inner Jersey as I get my fill on. [I present you with this softball as an endearing gift of sibling-esque friendship.]

Anon AMVB

Anonymous said...

Well, thank you for all the nice words. I had a great time playing in that band and wished we could have done more. You can now check out the Monkeyspank MySpace page @ myspace.com/monkeyspankbaltimore

and for anyone who wants to feel the Aloha spirit go to the MySPace again for more up to date stuff@
myspace.com/combomahalo

malama pono.