Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What Happens When You Teach Thoreau (A Really Bad Poem)

Imagine two of five quintuplets,
talking in only rhyming couplets--

That, my friends, is what you'll see
when you read this post from me.

I'll tell you now, with all expedience,
that today was "Civil Disobedience,"

By Henry David, young Thoreau,
who told us what we all should know:

We should do more than voice dissent
when saddled with an unjust government.

For doing so leads us to consenting,
by proxy, to civil wars fomenting.

Regardless of your chosen flower
of nomenclature: Bush or Lauer,

We seem to be in a hefty pickle
'mongst Shia, Sunni, Kurds a-fickle.

I would rather, if you please,
not have my fellows facing IEDs.

Thoreau says when the justice laxes,
we should all stop paying taxes;

When the government's off the bolt,
it's within our rights to just revolt;

To say we've had enough of this
ignorant, cowboy, gunslinging bliss.

The "Decider" has become a faker,
waiting for a word from Baker.

If only he had heeded those
who years ago stood on their toes

And peered just over the White House fence
to tell the man war makes no sense.

We don't want it. It always sucks.
It will wind up costing a gazillion bucks.

Now those words have come to pass,
and somebody looks like a stupid ass.

Of course, I don't mean to make light
of any awful martial sight,

Of any suffering those endure
who have to fight this awful war.

I simply sit and take my cues
from my rhyming couplet muse.

And my muse says now, my friend,
This little ditty's at its end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that you're still allowed to teach that in the schools!

That poem's got a fine funky beat, and you can dance to it.

Anon AMVB