Wednesday, May 10, 2006

It's Not Easy Being Mean

I've been riding my bike to work lately. It's a satisfying feeling getting where you need to go under your own power, and travelling slower gives you the opportunity to really see your surroundings as you go. You just haven't seen road killed squirrel until you pedal by it slowly at 6 in the morning! Work is only about two and a half miles away, so I don't think I'm saving a boatload on gas (maybe $3/week), but that's not really the point.

Not much has been going down here in Central Standard. Another late-night softball game for the Deadliners, tonight. We were rained out last week (and the weather is a little threatening, tonight). I'll let you know how that goes.

Last week, on Saturday night, our school held it's third annual Kewpie Idol talent competition. I was a judge with two local DJs. I got to be the Simon-type-meanie judge. It was fun. I tried to be hard-to-please and funny without being hurtful to the kids. I think I did okay. Aunt James said I did okay. It was funny, on Monday, at school, some kids said things too me like, "You were so mean." Some kids said things like, "You were funny." Most kids, of course, didn't say anything at all. I went into Aunt James' room to grab a cup of coffee, and a young lady she was working with asked her, "Is that the mean guy?" I laughed!

Tomorrow night is the Coffeehouse for the school literary magazine, of which I am a co-sponsor. The student writers will read their work or talk about their art, and we'll try to sell copies of the magazine. It's a great celebration of the work the magazine's staff does (it's a beautiful magazine), as well as the amazing creativity of the school's students.

I hope to have more to say later. This weekend looks like it is going to be lovely. Monkey and I may go on a hike. The Outlaw Birders of Central Standard may hit the birding trails. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He who stares too long at road-flattened squirrel is sure to fall off bike ouchie.

He who bikes to work saves cash on pricey gas and gets valuable exercise but risks being pelted ouchie by hail, rain, or lightening.

He of late-night softball could feel ouchie bruised, tired, hungover next day biking to work and teaching chil'uns.

He of the mean and funny judging may in turn be the recipient of ouchie mean and funny judgments.

He who sells his wares at local houses of business may receive inappropriate but not necessarily ouchie $3 comments on his blog.

He who hikes and outlaw birds in the wilderness watches out for tiara monkeys and llamas with ouchie teeth that bite!

Anon AMVB

Anonymous said...

You so clever, Anon AMVB!!!!!
Miss and love you,
Monkey