Tuesday, October 04, 2005

School Lunch

Okay. From turkey to chicken. Today is Tuesday, which means that the cafeteria serves chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes and gravy. I look forward to Tuesdays. Every other day of the week, I bring lunch from home. A sandwich, yogurt, a banana. Sometimes leftovers from last night's dinner. But Tuesdays are my day of dietary indulgence. I am addicted to the warm little processed "meat" with the golden, slightly greasy "breading." I know the meat is an otherworldly texture. No chicken has flesh like that. No healthy chicken, anyway. No breading I have ever seen in my life is that faker-than-a-spray-on-tan golden brown. The mashed potatoes and gravy, too. Instant taters, for sure, with the yellowest virtual poultry-based pseudo-gravy imaginable. I know. I am typing this and thinking, "Ugh, how can I eat that?" Two seconds later, I am thinking, "I can't believe I have to wait all week for next Tuesday." I am a sad, sad dude.
Speaking of things that are not high-quality, the San Diego Padres lost to the St. Louis Cardinals in Game 1 of their playoff game. Currently, the Chicago White Sox are opening up a can of whoop-ass on the Boston Red Sox. The Yankees play the LA Angels (of Anaheim in California) later. I am assuredly rooting for the Cards, and I would like to see Boston get back in, so the Cards can stomp them and avenge last year's sweep. But, really, I just love playoff baseball, and without the Orioles (they used to be in the playoffs occasionally), I don't care who wins (as long as it isn't the freaking Yankees).
No fights in school today. I didn't get my adrenaline rush. I got back out on the basketball court, yesterday. I sprained my ankle about six weeks ago and didn't play. I tweaked it a little bit last night, but I made it through with no major re-injury. I will probably play again on Thursday.
I do have about a hundred papers to grade. I take about ten minutes a paper, which doesn't sound like much, until you multiply it by 100. Which is 1000. Which is nearly seventeen hours. So, maybe I should get to work, huh?
Yeah, probably. My goal is to have them graded before the next time I can treat myself (for $2.25) to chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes and gravy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, what is the deal with OPP in the comments sections?! That's right, I'm talkn Other People's Pages - frontn websites as commentary. Reda, so far this seems to be you, me, and a bunch of web exploiters, and I don't need any more web exploiters in my life.

Anyway.

Grade all papers B-. It says "Eh, you could have done better" (or for some, worse) and frees you up like 920 minutes (hey, I was a maff major after all) to do more important things like blogging about meatlike substances and their textures and the like.

All the best!

Anon AMVB